Many people with misaligned teeth make the mistake of assuming their condition is purely aesthetic. The truth is that there are significant oral health risks that come with having teeth that are crooked or have gaps between them. Aesthetic Dentistry of Palm City understands the value of helping our patients become well-informed about their oral health and the treatments we provide.
Why It’s Important To Correct Misaligned Smiles
Ensuring your dental hygiene routine is effective when your teeth aren’t correctly aligned is much more challenging. Over time, this can lead to plaque and tartar building up on your teeth, creating a better environment for bacteria to thrive. As a result, tooth decay and gum disease are far more prominent in those living with crooked teeth.
However, the risks to your oral health don’t end there:
- Increased Wear And Tear: When your teeth aren’t aligned correctly, the wear and tear they experience are often worse than usual. This wear and tear impact the integrity of your enamel and can cause damage or promote dental decay.
- Chewing Can Be More Difficult – The alignment of our teeth produces a perfect mechanism for adequately chewing our food. When they aren’t in alignment, chewing can become complicated, uncomfortable, or even impossible for certain foods.
- Halitosis (Bad Breath) – Difficulty brushing our teeth can also lead to food debris being lodged in areas where it’s challenging to remove. Further, this means that the food can decay or promote tooth decay. Both of these can lead to bad breath, a problem that can be difficult to eliminate.
- Heart Problems – Studies have revealed a link between heart disease and oral health concerns. The bacteria in your mouth can find their way into your bloodstream and impact the health and function of your heart valves.
- Increased Headaches – Misaligned teeth can cause additional strain on the muscles of your jaw, the temporomandibular joint, and your teeth. All of these combined can cause you to experience headaches more frequently.
- Increased Risk Of Tooth Fracture – When your teeth aren’t aligned properly, the unusual and excess pressure applied to them and the neighboring teeth can be catastrophic. Your teeth may chip, crack, or fracture, which can be significantly painful.
- Temporomandibular Joint Disorder – As mentioned above, misaligned teeth can put additional stress on the temporomandibular joint. As it does so, it can cause it to shift out of alignment, strain the materials, or otherwise impact its normal function. As a result, temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD) is more common in those with crooked teeth.
Aesthetic Dentistry of Palm City Addresses Crooked Teeth
Don’t let crooked teeth put your lasting oral health at risk. When you reach out to Aesthetic Palm Dentistry by calling (772) 283-8350, you’re on your way to improving your smile through effective treatment. We’ll schedule your appointment at a time that’s convenient for you. During your visit, we’ll review your dental and medical history, discuss your concerns, and develop a treatment plan to produce results.