If you’ve ever consumed food or drink that is hot or cold and had your teeth react with a painful ache, you know about dental sensitivity. Those suffering from dental sensitivity can often struggle with finding ways to avoid these painful sensations. With Aesthetic Dentistry of Palm City, we can help you overcome dental sensitivity and understand its root causes. Come with us as we explore what causes this condition and how we can help you overcome it.
Understanding The Causes Of Sensitive Teeth And How We Treat It
If you enjoy having the occasional cup of hot tea or coffee or relish the pleasures of eating a bowl of cold, rich ice cream, you can imagine how dental sensitivity can impact these leisure moments. The primary underlying reason dental sensitivity occurs is enamel erosion from the dental surface. However, a receding gum line can expose the more sensitive dental roots and their nerves. Other reasons you may be experiencing dental sensitivity include:
- Cavities and Fractures: While loss of dental enamel is the primary cause of cavities, it’s also possible for them to result from fractures in the tooth. These fractures can also make your teeth more sensitive to temperature, especially if they reach the nerve.
- Bruxism (Teeth Grinding): Grinding your teeth will slowly wear away at the enamel and, in severe cases, can lead to the fracturing and cracking of teeth mentioned before. If this erosion of your dental enamel reaches your dentin, it can lead to dental sensitivity.
- Acidic Food And Beverages: Consuming acidic substances can weaken your enamel over time. Again, this erosion of your enamel can lead to dental sensitivity becoming a problem.
- Dental Whitening: This procedure is one of the most popular approaches to improving the brightness of your smile. However, they do come with the potential risk of causing dental sensitivity. This occurs most often when over-the-counter whitening agents are used in a manner not keeping with their instructions. It’s best to leave dental whitening to the professionals.
Thankfully, there are some effective approaches for treating cases of dental sensitivity. They range from over-the-counter options to in-office treatments that help restore and protect your teeth. These options include:
- Desensitizing Toothpaste: This toothpaste is formulated to help block nerve signals and ease pain caused by dental sensitivity.
- Fluoride Treatments: Equal parts preventative and restorative, fluoride treatments can help strengthen enamel and reduce the risk of sensitivity.
- Dental Sealants: These are a thin polymer layer laid over the teeth’ surface. They’re inexpensive and effective for protecting your teeth against dental erosion.
- Dental Bonding: When necessary, our team can take steps to rebuild the protective layer on your teeth. This is done with a composite resin known as dental bonding. It can be tinted to be the natural color of your teeth and sculpted to remain entirely discrete.
Contact Us To Learn More About Dental Sensitivity
Contact our offices today if you’re looking for ways to reduce dental sensitivity symptoms and protect your teeth’ lasting health. Aesthetic Dentistry of Palm City is here to help our patients relieve dental discomfort and improve the beauty of their smiles with our range of treatments. Call us at (772) 283-8350 or visit us in Palm City, FL today!